Trsat is part of the city of Rijeka and is 138 meters above sea level. Trsat is on a hill above Rijeka and the river Rječina. The name Trsat may originate from the Celtic word ‘tarsa’ which means ‘the hill above the river’.
The Illyric tribe of Jepods erected Trsat on top of the hill. In the Roman era, the fortress, Gradina, was built and a settlement was erected around it. This was called Tarsatica. The Croats acquired the fortress in the seventh century and it played an important part in the defense against the Turks. It was razed to the ground in the great earthquake of 1750 and in 1824 was reconstructed by the Austrian general Laval Nugent. He rebuilt the towers, mausoleum and in the northeastern tower, created a museum, however the funds ran out and the final improvements were made in 1960. There are great views from here over Rijeka and the whole of the Kvarner Bay.