The Comilla airport is located in the South-Eastern of Bangladesh, about 97 km from Dhaka (Capital of Bangladesh).
Comilla airport built during WW II times by the US Air Force and reportedly deployed P40's and Hurricanes (UK) against the advancing Japanese from Burma (Myanmar).
Comilla Airport There is only the runway left here, the rest of the land was converted to factories making shoes and jeans. About 267 acres of area. The town is only 80 miles from the nearest Int'l airport (DAC) which has two 12,000 ft. runways.
Modern aviation in Bangladesh began when the British Raj built a military airstrip in Tejgaon during World War II to fly warplanes towards the battle fields of Kohima and war theaters in Burma. Other airstrips were built in Comilla, Feni, Chittagong, Cox's Bazar, Chakaria, Sylhet, Jessore, Rajshahi and Lalmonirhat. In August 1943, a South Asia Command was formed under Admiral Mountbatten, including the RAF Third Tactical Air Force (Third TAF), which launched the second Burma Campaign against the Empire of Japan in the December that year. The Royal Indian Airforce (RIAF), Indian part of the Royal Air Force played a crucial role by providing tactical reconnaissance and extensive close support to the army when a British Corps started advancing down the Arakan coast in January 1944. In November 1943, 6 Squadron and later 8 Squadron were moved to Cox's Bazaar. By the end of February 1944, No 6 Squadron pilots had completed over 1,000 operational sorties, averaging 6 sorties a day per pilot, a record for the entire the Third TAF. Towards the end of March 1944, 4 Squadron joined the operations when it was moved first to Feni airfield, and then to Comilla in June to replace 6 Squadron. In May, 9 Squadron was moved to Comilla after a brief spell of tactical reconnaissance duties supporting the battles of Imphal and Kohima. During August 1944, the two squadrons carried out intensive bombing of enemy positions in the Sangu river valley, specially for three consecutive days in Labawa to support an offensive by 81 Division to expel the Japanese from the area. By the end of December 1944, 10 Squadron had also been moved into the operational area at Ramu. With the fall of Rangoon on 3 May 1945, the operations in Burma were reduced to mopping up of small pockets of resistance. By the end of June most of the lAF's squadrons were withdrawn, leaving only 8 Squadron to assist in the mopping up
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Comilla, Bangladesh
Misplaced? Suggest new location