The Sentinel Tree, Kearsney Abbey, Dover, Kent, England, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

John Latter on May 5, 2007

Looking south across the western half of Kearsney Abbey's lake*.

I've called this 'The Sentinel Tree' because its regularity of shape, aided by colour and certain degree of isolation, makes the tree appear like a sentry on duty with respect to its more free-growing neighbours.

The fountain is an original installation powered by some intricate network of pipes utilizing the natural power of the River Dour as it enters the Abbey grounds (a siphon system). It works when it wants to and appears to have been temporarily converted into a bird-bath by the seagull in the above photo.

The trees on the right are on one of the western lake's islands.

Photo/Image taken on May 1st, 2007 from the lawns leading down to the western lake in front of the cafe/billiard room.

*Formed by the River Dour as it runs right to left after leaving the Alkham Valley and divided into the eastern (boating) and western lakes by the lake footbridge.

Other trees worthy of note include the Cedar Tree and the Red Tree.

Extracts from the plaque inside the Abbey grounds

Kearsney Abbey, on the opposite side of the Alkham Road to the Manor House, was built in 1820-22 by John Minet Fector, son of Peter. It incorporated many remnants of medieval Dover, such as parts of the town walls and churches, which John had collected during redevelopment of the town. Because of its mock medieval appearance the house and grounds were given the title Kearsney Abbey even though there had never actually been such an abbey.

...During the Second World War (1939-45) the house was commandeered as an army headquarters after which the house and grounds were purchased by Dover District Council as a public park.

...A phased programme of demolition began in 1959 and sections disappeared until only the west wing containing the billiard room (now the cafe) remained.

More information, including historical details from the Norman Conquest onwards, can be found here.

From the wikipedia entry for Kearsney Village:

Kearsney is a village in Kent, although at one time it would have been called hamlet due to there being no church in the village. The name is taken from an old Saxon name for a place where watercress grows. Kearsney is situated between the parishes of River and Ewell. Being an administrative part of Dover borough it was part of the parish of River.

The River Dour flows through Kearsney from west to east to form the central lake.

Also see Connaught Park and Pencester Gardens.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on May 2, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX Optio 33LF
    • Taken on 2007/05/01 13:21:05
    • Exposure: 0.013s (1/80)
    • Focal Length: 7.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/5.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups