Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Admiralty Head Lighthouse, Fort Casey State Park, Whidbey Island, Coupeville WA, built 1903

The Admiralty Head Light is a lighthouse located in Fort Casey State Park near Coupeville on Whidbey Island, Washington. Admiralty Head is the east entrance point of Admiralty Inlet and the southeast extremity of a succession of light bare bluffs which extend north of Point Partridge, where they attain their highest elevation.

In 1858 the United States purchased 10 acres (40,000 m²) of land costing $400 for the location of the lighthouse. The original lighthouse was completed during the months just prior to the Civil War and was among the West's earliest navigational aids. It had a fourth order Fresnel lens, and the light could be seen sixteen miles away. This light welcomed Puget Sound marine traffic to Admiralty Inlet. In 1890, with construction of the fort to protect Admiralty Inlet, the light was relocated, relinquishing the building and site to the U.S. Army. The original Red Bluff wooden lighthouse was demolished to make room for soldiers and guns in Fort Casey. The replacement lighthouse, constructed of brick and stucco, was built in 1903 but was discontinued in 1922. It was the last brick lighthouse designed by renowned German architect Carl Leick. During its later occupancy by the Army, the lighthouse was used as a training facility for the K-9 dog program.

The lighthouse was deactivated in 1922, and the lantern moved to the New Dungeness Lighthouse in 1927. The 30 foot (9 m) tall lighthouse has since been restored by the Washington State Parks and is sponsored by the "Lighthouse Environmental Program"(LEP), a collaborative function between Washington State University's Extension Office and local environmental programs. Admiralty Head Lighthouse is open to the public throughout the year.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 24, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Alex Tucker
    • Camera: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY KODAK EASYSHARE C533 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    • Taken on 2008/08/01 12:30:49
    • Exposure: 0.002s (1/500)
    • Focal Length: 11.60mm
    • F/Stop: f/6.700
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash