Old Market Hall, Ellie Cafe Pub, Discovery Centre, Dover, Kent, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (5)

John Latter on March 28, 2009

A view of the south side of Dover's Market Square showing, from left to right, 'The Ellie Cafe Bar'' public house, the facade of the Old Market Hall (now the Museum) and the entrance to the Discovery Centre and Public Library at the top of the steps.

'The Ellie Cafe Bar' pub was formerly the 'Elephant and Hind'. An entry in Barry Smith's 1991 edition of, "By The Way: The Dover Pubs" reads:

Elephant and Hind, 18-19 Market Square: It was formerly the "Walmer Castle" and the "Duchess of Kent". Permission was given in 1962 for the two to merge. The license of the "Duchess" was forfeited and Fremlin and Mackeson shared the proceeds for the new business.

The antiquity of the buildings meant the practical rebuilding of the whole and following that it reopened as the "Elephant and Hind" in October 1964.

The new name was chosen because the 'Elephant' and the 'Hind' were the respective logos of the two breweries who owned the pubs: Fremlins (the Elephant) owned the Walmer Castle and Whitbread (the Hind) owned the Duchess of Kent. Barry smith's error in saying, "Fremlin and Mackeson" owned the pubs has been perpetuated on a number of websites I've looked at.

Whitbread's certainly owned the Mackeson brewery, but they had done so since the 1920s and the only logos I can find for Mackeson's are the 'milk churn' for Mackeson's Milk Stout and a coat of arms (possibly Hythe's, where the Mackeson brewery was located) on their other beers. The Hind logo is associated with the parent company of Whitbread.

Between the Ellie Cafe Bar and the facade of the Old Market Hall lies Gaol Lane which contains Dover's only remaining cinema, owned by Silver Screen Cinemas.

A tourist information board in the Market Square states:

The old Market Hall, the facade of which still stands, was built in 1846 to provide a new Museum and covered market. The building was badly damaged by bombs and shells during the Second World War and was closed down, the museum moving to the Town Hall. The Market Hall building is on the site of the original Town Gaol built in 1746, rebuilt in 1820, and then moved to the Town Hall in 1834.

I'll be adding more about the Old Market Hall's new role as a museum when I upload a seperate photo of it (the same goes for the Ellie).

Dover Public Library performs a self-explanatory function. To the right of the steps leading up to it, however, there is an access ramp for those who prefer it to the right of which the ruins of St. Martin-le-Grand church can be seen.

On the hills above the library is the embedded Drop Redoubt, part of Dover's Napoleonic defenses on the Western Heights.

The view of The Market Square and Cannon Street was taken from the Ellie's outside seating area and that of The Market Square and Castle Street from the colonnade between the Old Market Hall and the Library.

Standard Info:

The following paragraphs are taken from plaques located in the Market Square.

In ancient times the Market Square area stood at the mouth of the River Dour, then a wide tidal river. During the Roman period Dover (Portus Dubris) became an important port and garrison for the Roman fleet, known as Classis Britannica. The Romans built a fort below the Western Heights slopes, a little to the west of here, in the 2nd Century AD. In the late 3rd Century this was replaced by a larger garrison fort, built against Saxon invaders.

As the river began to silt up and more land was reclaimed, the old Roman quay and fort which the Romans had abandoned in the 5th Century fell into disuse. In the 7th Century Widred, King of Kent, built a Saxon church, dedicated to St Martin on the west side of the square. This was burnt down by William the Conqueror during his march from Hastings to London in 1066. The church was replaced by a much larger Monastery and Church built by Odo, the Constable of the Castle and Earl of Kent. St. Martin is the Patron Saint of Dover.

The Norman church of St. Martin-le-Grand was so large and important that it embraced three seperate parish churches within its walls. During Henry VIII's Reformation the church was closed and finally destroyed in 1535. Most of the remains were removed in 1892; the last remnants, demolished in 1955, were incorporated into the front wall of the bank [2] on the west side of the Square.

A fair or market has been held in the Market Square since at least 1160, the most important being the annual St Martin's Fair. Dover's Guildhall was built in the centre of the Square in 1605 on wooden pillars, replacing the old Market Cross. The Market was held beneath it. The Guildhall was used as a council chamber and a museum. It was demolished in 1861.

In the Market Place, Dover Corporation had its instruments of punishment and correction - the stocks, pillory and whipping post. It is recorded that in 1588 pick-pockets were taken to the Market Place, had one ear nailed to the pillory and a knife placed in their hand. The pick-pocket could then decide whether to stand and be jeered at, or to free himself by cutting off his ear.

Looking up Castle Street, you can see Victoria Park mansions below Dover Castle. This crescent of fine Victorian town-houses was built in 1834 as residences for "Military, Naval and Other Gentlemen". Castle Street itself was only begun in 1830 and not opened up into the Market Square until 1837.

[2] The National Westminster Bank (NatWest)

This is the Images of Dover website.

John Latter on October 25, 2009

A "full frontal" view of the Ellie Cafe Bar (and the new 2012 Olympic Games TV screen) has been up loaded to:

Giant 2012 Olympics TV Screen, Ellie Cafe Bar, Market Square, Dover, Kent, UK

The Ellie Cafe Bar is also shown in:

Dover Museum, Old Market Hall, Market Square, Kent, UK

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to go to the Entry Page.

John Latter on November 24, 2010

The facade of the Old Market Hall is a Grade II Listed Building (1).

The following is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under the terms of the Click-Use Licence (PSI licence number C2010002016):

Building Details:

Building Name: THE MARKET HALL Parish: DOVER District: DOVER County: KENT Postcode: CT16 1NG

Details:

LBS Number: 177809 Grade: II Date Listed: 21/08/1973 Date Delisted: NGR: TR3194241370

Listing Text:

MARKET SQUARE 1. (South Side) 1050 The Market Hall TR 3141 2/142 21.8.73.

II GV

2. Mid C19 (C19 = 19th Century). 2 storeys. Ground floor stuccoed, 1st floor stock brick. Parapet with recessed panels and modillion cornice to right side only. 7 sashes set in moulded surrounds with pediments over. 10 plain pilasters, some with Composite heads. Stringcourse. Arcading having 7 arches with keystones and 3 entrances. All have fanlights with glazing bars. The interior has 2 rows of 6 plain Tuscan columns.

Group value with No 20 (Prince Regent Public House) (2).

Listing NGR: TR3194241370

Source: English Heritage. Click to see photos of Listed Buildings and English Heritage sites in the town of Dover, England.

(1) Grade II: buildings that are "nationally important and of special interest".

(2) The Prince Regent once stood to the right of the Market Hall.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 28, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2009/03/22 21:56:12
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 33.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups