Disued Hatherton branch of the Staffs and Worcs Canal.

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

pedrocut on April 30, 2009

The disued Hatherton branch of the Staffs and Worcs Canalis a derelict waterway which once linked together the canals to the east and west of Cannock in south Staffordshire. It was opened in 1841 as a branch of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal from Calf Heath to Churchbridge near Cannock, and in 1860 the Churchbridge Locks were opened to link with the Cannock Extension Canal.

Originally 4 miles long and with 21 locks, it formed a vital link in the regional network of canals. For 100 years it was busy carrying coal and many other goods, but in 1955 it was abandoned due to mining subsidence and the Churchbridge Locks were destroyed. Some plans to restore.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 30, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by pedrocut
    • Camera: Canon DIGITAL IXUS 500
    • Taken on 2006/03/16 11:02:14
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/400)
    • Focal Length: 7.41mm
    • F/Stop: f/2.800
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups