After the old Adamić Theatre was pulled down, the town decided to build a new and modern theatre. In 1883, the Vienna studio of Fellner and Helmer, specializing in the building of modern Central European theatres, was commissioned for the project. The grand theatre building was opened on Oct. 3, 1885. It dominates the square with its harmonious shape. The exterior of the theatre is tastefully designed in the style of High Renaissance, while the interior is richly decorated in the style of High ornamented Baroque. Guilded stucco works adorn the boxes, the proscenium and the ceiling, which is covered with paintings by F. Matsch and his associates, Gustav and Ernest Klimt. The Coat of Arms of Rijeka is located on the tympana, instead of the acroterion. The allegorical compositions "Drama" and "Music", the work of the Venetian sculptor, Augusto Benvenutti, adorn the wreath. "Apollo and the Nymphs", located on the triangle of the gable, was made by the Vienna Sculptor's Association of Kauffungen and Fritsch. All of these artists were regular associates of the Vienna Studio. The Vienna company of Kremenczky equipped the building with electrical installations. On the day of a dress rehearsal in 1885, the first light bulb in Rijeka was switched on. The theatre had been intended for season performances only. Following its most recent reconstruction in 1981, the edifice was modernized and adapted to meet the needs of a repertory theatre. A rotating stage was added as well as up-to-date technical equipment. The well-known painter, Oton Gliha, created a new stage curtain, its theme being the dry stone walls of the coast. A sculpture of the Croatian composer, Ivan Zajc, born in Rijeka, is situated in the park in front of the theatre that bears his name.