Railroad Pilings, Neches River

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

J-Gerland on July 17, 2009

These pilings are remains of a railroad that operated between Rockland, in Tyler County, and various points in Jasper County, including the rock quarry known as Blue Hole, the sawmill of Aldridge Lumber Company, and a turpentine camp known as Turpentine. The railroad was already constructed and being operated between Rockland and the rock quarry in 1897 when the Rock Quarries Tram Road was incorporated. The railroad was sold to a new railroad corporation known as the Rockland, Jasper & Northeastern in 1905 and then sold in 1906 to lumberman John Henry Kirby, who operated the line under a new organization known as the Burr's Ferry, Browndel & Chester Railway. Texas & New Orleans railroad (Southern Pacific) bought the railroad in 1914 and abandoned the line in 1927.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on July 17, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by J-Gerland
    • Camera: Canon EOS 30D
    • Taken on 2009/07/15 10:58:45
    • Exposure: 0.010s (1/100)
    • Focal Length: 17.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/7.100
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups