Strolling through Herrengasse, you can cast a glance into the realm of gods. In 1742 the Baroque artist Johann Mayer painted frescos on the facade auf Gemaltes Haus which show gods of Greco- Roman mythology.
The building is also called Herzogshof. Up to the second half of the 15th century, the Habsburgs carried out their official business as princes of Styria in this house. The manager of the building was released from paying any taxes for putting up the "prince's chair".
Herzogshof was first mentioned in 1360. It was in this house that the Dukes of Styria gave their subjects land in fee. When the Burg in Graz was completed soon after 1450, the new building was used for that ceremony. From the year 1600 onwards, a brother of the then Styrian prince and future emperor Ferdinand II lived in the house. It was at that time that it was first painted. By none other than Ferdinand's court painter and future architect of the Mausoleum, Giovanni Pietro de Pomis.
The house often changed hands until it passed into the hands of a moneychanger. Franz von Lathurner commissioned the artist Johann Mayer from Vorau to fresco the facade anew. Nothing has remained of de Pomis' original painting.