St Agnes Church ~ Freshwater ~ Isle of Wight

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Nick Weall on August 15, 2009

The church dates from 1908 and is by the architect Isaac Jones.

Tennyson's son, Hallam donated land for a new church in Freshwater Bay. Hallam's wife Audrey suggested that the church be named for St. Agnes. St. Agnes Church was consecrated August 12, 1908. It is the only thatched church on the Isle of Wight.

The stone used to build the Church came from an old and derelict farm house on Hooke Hill, Freshwater, and the date stone 1622 [sic] was incorporated into the vestry wall, thus rather misleading those who may think the Church belonged to the 17th century".

more info from Wiki

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on August 15, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Nick Weall
    • Camera: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D700
    • Taken on 2009/08/10 08:54:21
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/400)
    • Focal Length: 14.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/10.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO400
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups