Mamayev Kurgan is a dominant height overlooking the city of Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad) in Southern Russia. The name in Russian means "tumulus of Mamai". The original Mamayev Kurgan was a Tartar burial mound 102 metres high. The current formation is dominated by a memorial complex commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad (August 1942 to February 1943). The battle was a decisive Soviet victory over Axis forces on the Eastern front of World War II and arguably the bloodiest battle in human history. At the time of its installation in 1967 the statue named The Motherland Calls formed the largest free-standing sculpture in the world.
Constructed 1959 completed in 1967, the statue "The Motherland Calls!" (Russian: Родина-мать зовёт!)is 52 metres high (171 feet) and is made of 5,500 tons of concrete and 2,400 tons of metal. The form of the statue may have been inspired by the Winged Victory of Samothrace, a 2nd century BC marble sculpture of the Greek goddess Nike (Victory) that is on display at the Louvre in Paris . The sword is stainless steel and is 29 metres long weighing 14 tons. The statue not fixed to its foundation by anything but its own weight. The sword of the statue of the Motherland originally made of stainless steel covered with titanium sheets swayed in the wind so in 1972 they replaced it with a fluorinated one.The author of the memorial is E.V.Vuchetich, he was a prominent Soviet sculptor , nationality United Nations( He was born in Yekaterinoslav, Russian Empire , now Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine. The father of Yevgeny Vuchetich, Viktor, was of Serbian nationality, and his mother Anna Andreevna Stewart was a Russian of French descent).