Astley Drinking Fountain, Connaught Park Pond, Dover, Kent, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (5)

John Latter on October 28, 2009

The Drinking Fountain at the south-eastern end of Connaught Park's ornamental lake, Dover, UK. The inscription reads:

"THE GIFT OF E.F. ASTLEY MD 1883".

The photo was taken on the 28th of August, 2009.

The Dover Streets Names section of the Dover History website says:

"Astley Avenue - This street commemorates Dr. E. F. Astley, a prominent Dover citizen of the 19th century who gave the town the organ in Connaught Hall (part of the Town Hall) and was chairman of the original committee responsible for laying out the first part of Connaught Park. He was Mayor 1858-9 during which time he opened at his own expense an Isolation Hospital at Edred Road, Tower Hamlets." (I live at Robsons Yard, Tower Hamlets).

Dover Distrct Council has recently drained and cleaned the ornamental lake in Connaught Park, and also restored and reinstated the original Victorian fountain which can just about be seen: the fountain is on the left-most of the three white 'stepping-stones' in the pond, above the left-hand side railings.

If you click on the above photo for a larger size, a pigeon is visible through the fountain opening standing on the low brick wall. Said pigeon has been included at no extra charge.

Click to see Connaught Park Pond from the North-West (ie the opposite end to that shown here) and a photo of Connaught Park Pond from the South-East (taken a few yards to the left of this page's photo).

Abridged from Connaught Park:

The key to the park was officially handed over on 1 May 1883 and it was open to the public from that day on. Formally opened by the Duke and Duchess of Connaught on 14 July 1884.

Dover Distrct Council (DDC) have a webpage listing local "Parks and Open Spaces". The entry for Connaught Park reads:

This park is the first park established in Dover dating back to Victorian times.

Set on the hillside below Dover Castle it provides facilities for both recreational and sporting activities.

The open grass slopes provide a pleasant environment for a stroll offering excellent views across the town.

The lower part of the park is set out in a more traditional style with an ornamental lake (above photo) and lawns leading to an aviary.

Within the park there are both grass and hard tennis courts and a play area for children.

The DDC webpage also has entries for Kearsney Abbey and Pencester Gardens.

Click to see more photos of Connaught Park.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on October 28, 2009

Dr Edward Ferrand Astley was co-executor of Mrs Susan Gorely's will, the woman who founded the Gorely House Almshouses, located just below Cowgate Cemetery.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on September 21, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2009/08/28 12:20:53
    • Exposure: 0.000s (1/3200)
    • Focal Length: 55.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/5.600
    • ISO Speed: ISO800
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups