Entrance to Abandoned Iron Mine on Sideling Hill, Hancock, MD

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

RikJimTom on October 15, 2009

This is a man-made 20' deep gash and is 250' long, across the top of Sideling Hill. Many, many tons of the dense red sandstone were removed. The land was up for sale as "valuable coal and iron property" in the 1840's by a descendent of Charles Carroll, who signed the Declaration of Independence for Maryland. It was claimed that high quality iron had been extracted, but no further information is now available. This site may have been the source of the ore which was claimed about 1840 to have been smelted to produce the high quality iron reported in the offering of sale. The site was probably abandoned because it was not profitable to extract the iron.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 15, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by RikJimTom
    • Camera: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY KODAK Z812 IS ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    • Taken on 2008/04/19 17:31:51
    • Exposure: 0.008s (1/125)
    • Focal Length: 5.85mm
    • F/Stop: f/2.800
    • ISO Speed: ISO74
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups