A frame from the video/film 'Dover 1942' (alt 'Dover Front Line') showing Pencester Gardens. The father and daughter sitting on the bench are about to be interviewed by Edward Murrow.
The video is far more watchable than the quality of this frame may suggest.
Note that New St James's Church (the white structure, half-left) is still standing.
Dover in World War Two: 1942 (1) is a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.
The whole video can be seen at Dover in World War Two: 1942 or choose one of the other pre-selected entry points:
Dunkirk Evacuation 0:00:40
Winston Churchill 0:01:22
The Mayor 0:05:49
Dover Town Hall 0:06:25
St Martin's Battery 'Look-A-Like' 0:07:03
Pencester Gardens 0:09:41
In 1942, Dover was in that part of Kent known as 'Hellfire Corner'.
The 5 stills/frames in this series are:
Town Centre (Center)
(1) Original titles: Dover (1942) or Dover Front Line.
Pencester Gardens are located in the town centre (center) and first opened in 1924.
The Gardens are bordered to the north and north-east by the River Dour and to the south-west by a children's play area (including a popular bicycle/bike 'adventure training area' or "skate park"). To the south-east lies Stembrook and Castle Street. To the north-west is Pencester Road (2) itself which was laid out in 1860.
Pencester Gardens hosts Fairs and other events throughout the year. It now contains a 'Millenium Pavilion' and a Timeline Path recording the history of Dover engraved in flagstones.
(2) Street Name Origins
There are two contenders for the honour of having Pencester Road named after them. One Stephen de Pencester, who helped Hubert de Burgh defend the Castle during the French siege of 1216. Another Stephen de Pencester was also Constable of Dover Castle from 1267 to 1299. Prior to the road being built there had been no cross road from the main thoroughfare to Maison Dieu Road between Castle Street and Bridge Street. In 1854 the Gunman estate came on the market and Pencester Road was laid out by Mr William Moxon. Soon after that the erection of houses commenced but before the surface of the road could be metalled, Mr Moxon’s financial difficulties brought matters to a standstill, the river only being bridged by a plank. The bridge was finally built in 1862. Pencester Gardens opened in the 1920s.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Dover, Kent, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location