Chimney from 1840's firebrick plant, west of Hancock, MD 21750

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

RikJimTom on October 20, 2009

This chimney is about all that remains of a firebrick plant from the 1840's. Three sisters, granddaughters of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence for Maryland, owned this property and many square miles to the north and west. Their holdings formed the core of Green Ridge State Forest to the northwest. Though Americans, they all married English nobility, and thence forward lived in England. They were trying to develop the land for induatrial purposes, but the firebrick plant was the only successful part of their venture. The letters ES are visible at the top of the chimney, but the brickmason formed the "S" poorly. The letters stand for Elizabeth Stafford, one of the three sisters.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 20, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by RikJimTom
    • Camera: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY KODAK Z812 IS ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    • Taken on 2008/05/02 12:24:09
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 6.75mm
    • F/Stop: f/2.800
    • ISO Speed: ISO74
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups