Dover Museum and Old Market Hall, Market Square, Kent, United Kingdom

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (4)

John Latter on October 25, 2009

The Dover Museum facade is all that remains of a Victorian building built in 1846 that had a covered market on the ground floor and a museum above.

The building was badly damaged by bombs and shells during the Second World War, the museum moved to the Town Hall, and the covered market continued trading until 1973.

In 1991, the museum was rehoused in the new three-storey building which is partially visible behind the original facade in the above photo. Click to visit the Dover Museum website.

To the left of the museum is Gaol Lane on the other side of which is 'The Ellie'. More about the history of this pub is contained in the caption to the, "2012 Olympic Games TV Screen, Ellie Cafe Bar, Market Square photo (see more Dover pubs).

To the right of the museum is a short walkway leading to Dover Discovery Centre and Dover Library. It was from one side of the walkway that the Ruins of St. Martin-le-Grand Church and St. Martin-le-Grand Church Ruins photos were taken.

In the foreground is the horse trough: click to see an Old Dover photo of the horse trough in its original location at the Elms Vale Road/Folkestone Road junction; also see the The Market Square and Cannon Street photo for details of the inscription on the horse trough's side.

In the bottom right-hand corner of the above photo are two jets of water from the Market Square Fountain.

The Old Market Hall, The Ellie, Discovery Centre, Dover photo shows a more oblique view to the one above.

Click to see all photos of Dover`s Market Square (sometimes Market Place).

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to go to the Entry Page.

John Latter on November 24, 2010

The facade of the Old Market Hall is a Grade II Listed Building (1).

The following is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under the terms of the Click-Use Licence (PSI licence number C2010002016):

Building Details:

Building Name: THE MARKET HALL Parish: DOVER District: DOVER County: KENT Postcode: CT16 1NG

Details:

LBS Number: 177809 Grade: II Date Listed: 21/08/1973 Date Delisted: NGR: TR3194241370

Listing Text:

MARKET SQUARE 1. (South Side) 1050 The Market Hall TR 3141 2/142 21.8.73.

II GV

2. Mid C19 (C19 = 19th Century). 2 storeys. Ground floor stuccoed, 1st floor stock brick. Parapet with recessed panels and modillion cornice to right side only. 7 sashes set in moulded surrounds with pediments over. 10 plain pilasters, some with Composite heads. Stringcourse. Arcading having 7 arches with keystones and 3 entrances. All have fanlights with glazing bars. The interior has 2 rows of 6 plain Tuscan columns.

Group value with No 20 (Prince Regent Public House) (2).

Listing NGR: TR3194241370

Source: English Heritage. Click to see photos of Listed Buildings and English Heritage sites in the town of Dover, England.

(1) Grade II: buildings that are "nationally important and of special interest".

(2) The Prince Regent once stood to the right of the Market Hall.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 25, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2009/10/11 10:54:26
    • Exposure: 0.005s (1/200)
    • Focal Length: 31.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups