This is the most majestic of the trees that line Dieu Stone Lane, the pedestrian walkway that links Cannon Street (ahead) with Maison Dieu Road (behind).
The Giant Sycamore is about half-way along the part of Dieu Stone Lane that forms the southern border of Pencester Gardens (Dover's central park, on the right of the photo).
Two recent photos of each end of Dieu Stone Lane are:
North side of St Mary the Virgin Church, Dieu Stone Lane (Cannon Street)
Dieu Stone Lane Footbridge, Pencester Gardens (Maison Dieu Road)
The above photo was taken at midday on Sunday, 18th of October, 2009.
Standard Info for Pencester Gardens
Click to see all photos of Pencester Gardens.
Pencester Gardens are bordered to the north and north-east by the River Dour and to the south-west by a children's play area (including a popular bicycle/bike 'adventure training area' or "skate park"). To the south-east Dieu Stone Lane provides the boundary. To the north-west is Pencester Road itself which was laid out in 1860.
Pencester Gardens hosts Fairs and other events throughout the year when the pavilion is often used as a stage/bandstand.
A Timeline Pathway, in which the history of Dover is engraved in 100 flagstones, connects the pavilion to the other pathways at the centre of the park.
A Dover Town Council webpage (under 'History and Heritage') states:
"Pencester Gardens may never have been built if some of the proposed schemes for this area had come to fruition.
When Pencester Road was laid out in 1860, it was intended to build a street, to be called Neville Road, from Pencester Road to Eastbrook Place but this never happened. About 1880 the land was acquired with the intention of using it for a Dover station in connection with the Channel Tunnel, which was then being planned to run from St Margarets.
When that project failed it was suggested that it be used for building a new Town Hall but in the end facilities were improved at the Maison Dieu instead. Other plans included a recreation ground and a relief road to ease congestion in Biggin Street. In its later years the site was used as a timber yard.
In November 1922 the land was purchased by the Corporation and the new gardens were laid out. Pencester Gardens opened in 1924, as well as the usual lawns and flowerbed there as also a play area for children and a miniature golf course. The gardens have been a pleasant green space in the centre of the town since then, and have provided a venue for many fetes and funfairs.
In 2000 a pavilion for band concerts and other performances was built to commemorate the new Millennium."
Click to see a blurry still from the above-mentioned video showing the central section of Pencester Gardens.
Dover in World War Two: 1942 (1) is a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.
The video contains a short clip of Pencester Gardens in which a local resident (accompanied by her father) is interviewed.
(1) 1) Original titles: Dover (1942) or Dover Front Line.
Pencester Gardens is the most central of Dover's major parks; Connaught Park, for example, is on the upper (but terraced) slopes of the Eastern Heights, just below Dover Castle.
John Latter / Jorolat
Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town
This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Dover, Kent, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location