Panorama of Dover Priory Railway Station from the Western Heights, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (8)

John Latter on November 8, 2009

A view of the Victorian Dover Priory Train Station taken from the Western Heights, Kent, UK.

Also referred to as Dover Priory Train Station and Dover Priory Rail Station. Click for information on Dover Priory Station Facilities from National Rail Enquiries.

"Priory Steps" are on the right of the carpark below the tunnel entrance. On the other side of Priory Steps are the grounds of Dover College.

Folkestone Road can be seen through the trees where it crosses over the railway tracks at the bottom of the photo.

Between the viewer and Folkestone Road, the North Military Road (with its "Piggy Steps") runs up to the Napoleonic/Victorian North Entrance, part of extensive fortications embedded into the Western Heights.

Another component of the fortifications known as the Drop Redoubt is immediately behind the viewer.

I live in Robsons Yard which is behind the highest of the trees on the ridge above Dover Priory (left-hand side of the photo).

Also see Dover Town and Dover Castle from the Western Heights.

History of Dover Priory Train Station:

Dover Priory opened on 22 July 1861 as the temporary terminus of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR). It became a through station on 1 November 1861 with the completion of a tunnel though the Western Heights to gain access to the Western Docks area, where LCDR created Dover Harbour station.

Initially the station was known as Dover Town but was renamed in July 1863 (leading to rival SER to adopt the name for one of its Dover stations). Southern consolidated passenger services at Priory in 1927 and modernised the station in 1932.

The Chatham Main Line into Priory was electrified in 1959 as part of Stage 1 of Kent Coast Electrification, under the BR 1955 Modernisation Plan. The line up to Ramsgate, via Deal was subsequently electrified under stage two of Kent Coast electrification in January 1961. The line from Folkestone into Priory was electrified in June 1961. From [Dover Priory Railway Station]

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on April 25, 2011

All photos relating to trains and rail transport are now tagged with Railway.

John Latter on May 5, 2011

John Latter, on November 8th, 2009, said:

...the North Military Road (with its "Piggy Steps") runs up to the Napoleonic/Victorian North Entrance, part of extensive fortications embedded into the Western Heights.

A typo which should read:

...the North Military Road (is) part of extensive fortifications embedded into the Western Heights.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 8, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2009/11/04 13:08:58
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 55.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/10.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups