Maison Dieu House and Civic War Memorial, Biggin Street, Dover, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (8)

John Latter on November 17, 2010

Details of the Service held at the Dover War Memorial on Rememberance Day Sunday (Rememberance Sunday) can be found on this Dover Town Council webpage.

After the service there is a Parade from the War Memorial to the Church of St Mary the Virgin in Cannon Street via Biggin Street.

Information on the Spirit of Youth statue can be found in the caption to the Dover War Memorial Maison Dieu House photo (first and third entries) and at The War Memorial. The inscription on the statue reads:

"To the Glorious Memory of the People of Dover who gave their lives in the Great Wars 1914-1919, 1939-1945".

The building in the background is Maison Dieu House which was built in 1665 (year of the Great Plague of London), and according to Dover Town Council, is possibly the oldest domestic building in the town:

It was converted into a Navy Victualling Office, to serve as a residence for the Agent Victualler. It continued to be used for this purpose until after the Battle of Waterloo (1815). Subsequently it was used by the Ordnance Department as a residence for the officer commanding the Royal Engineers at Dover until 1834.

After this it was sold as a private residence. Mr R. W. Mummery, who was three times Mayor of Dover, lived there and died there in 1869. In 1855 the famous mountaineer Albert Mummery was born in the house.

In 1904 Maison Dieu House was purchased by Dover Corporation and used as the offices of the Borough Engineer and Electricity Department. In the 1920s the town's War Memorial was erected on the lawn in front of the house.

After being damaged during Second World War the building was converted for use as a public library. The Library opened in Maison Dieu House in 1952, moving from the Biggin Hall where it had been housed after it's original premises were destroyed during the war.

As well the fine red brick façade many original features can be seen inside the present library. There is the magnificent Jacobean staircase, together with exposed ceiling beams and in some rooms original wall panelling has been retained.

This beautiful building was home to Dover's excellent library until June 2003 when it closed prior to its move to the Dover Discovery Centre. During early 2004 the building was converted into offices for Dover Town Council, who moved into their new home in late summer 2004.

The Town Hall is to the left of Maison Dieu House.

See Dover's Indian Mutiny War Memorial (1857 - 1859).

Dover in World War Two: 1942 (1) is a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.

(1) Original titles: Dover (1942) or Dover Front Line.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on November 17, 2010
John Latter on November 17, 2010

More Dover memorial and statue photos.

John Latter on November 17, 2010

Maison Dieu House is a Grade II* Listed Building (1).

The following is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under the terms of the Click-Use Licence (PSI licence number C2010002016):

Building Details:

Building Name: MAISON DIEU HOUSE Parish: DOVER District: DOVER County: KENT Postcode: CT16 1DW

Details:

LBS Number: 177723 Grade: II* Date Listed: 30/06/1949 Date Delisted: NGR: TR3165241724

Listing Text:

BIGGIN STREET 1. (North East Side) 1050 Maison Dieu House

TR 3141 2/38 30.6.49.

II* GV

2. Originally the residence of the Agent Victualler. Dated 1665. 2 storeys and attics red brick. english bond. Roof has 5 dormers flanked by brick pilasters with pediments over alternately curved and triangular, the dormers linked by a parapet, lst floor has thin brick pilasters wider at the top than at the bottom with Ionic capitals supporting the entablature. Stringcourse above ground floor. 5 C16 sashes with 2 double-hung sashes on the ground floor. Glazing bars intact. Doorcase with brick pilasters and round-headed arch. Gable to North end. Good staircase with turned balusters. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Group value with Town Hall and Maison Dieu Hall in High Street.

Listing NGR: TR3165241724

Source: English Heritage. Click to see photos of Listed Buildings and English Heritage locations in the town of Dover, England.

(1) Grade II*: buildings that are "particularly important (and) of more than special interest".

John Latter on December 27, 2012

Maison Dieu House was built during the Queen Anne architectual style period.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 18, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2009/11/16 12:58:26
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 43.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/13.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups