Nebojsa Tower was built in the 15th century by the Hungarians on the ruins of a Roman tower of the first AD century. In fact it was from advanced fortress, after being out of basic defensive walls of the fortress of Belgrade, is the name Nebojsa, which in Serbian means fearless-fearless. In the history of it was destroyed several times, but always rebuilt. In 1739, when Belgrade fell to the Turks, the tower became a prison, a place of torture and martyrdom. In November 1797, Austrian authorities arrested Velestinlis Rigas to Trieste and along with seven other companions, delivered him to the Pasha of Belgrade. The Rigas and his companions were detained nearly seven months in prison and Nebojsa Tower in June 1798, the Turks strangled and dead bodies were thrown in the Danube.