Palace Gate, or Duke of Suffolk’s Tower, Inner Bailey, Dover Castle, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (7)

John Latter on March 5, 2013

The Palace Gate, or Palace Gateway, through the Inner Curtain Wall provides the southern entrance into the Keep Yard. Two corner towers of the Keep (or "Great Tower", as it is increasingly becoming known), are visible at top right (ignore the brick chimney-stack).

Abridged extract from "The History of the Town and Port of Dover and of Dover Castle (With a Short Account of the Cinque Ports)", Volume 2. Dedicated by the Reverend John Lyon, Minister of "Saint Mary’s", on April 21st, 1814, and published the same year:

Duke of Suffolk's Tower, or Palace Gate

The entrance into the Saxon keep, at this gate, was once secured with a portcullis; and the grooves in the stonework are still remaining.

After entering the gate, immediately on the right hand, there is a tower, which originally was only a recess in the wall, and open in front; but it has been enclosed, and apartments fitted up for the reception of those who commanded in the tower.

Edward the Fourth expended a considerable sum in repairing and decorating this building with lions and fleur-de-lis], for the accomodation of the Duke of Suffolk, who had married his sister, Elizabeth.

Abridged extract from "The History of the Castle, Town and Port of Dover" by Reverend S. P. H. Statham, Rector of St Mary-in-the-Castle (ie St Mary-in-Castro) (Longmans, Green, and Co., 1899):

Two gates (in the Inner Bailey walls) led in to the inner ward (or Keep Yard), the one on the north, called the King’s Gate; that on the south being named the Palace Gate, or the Duke of Suffolk's Gate. They are vaulted passages between two flanking square towers, and are early English in character. Both were fitted with a portcullis.

An outwork, consisting of a wall with towers, was thrown out in front of each of these gates, and the entry to these works was placed obliquely to the main gate so as to allow the approach to be commanded. That at the King's Gate (the King’s Gate Barbican) remains much as it was first built, but the one at the Palace Gate has been entirely destroyed.

Click to see all photos of Dover Castle, one of Dover's English Heritage sites and a Listed Building.

Dover Castle appears in "Dover in World War Two: 1942", a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on March 18, 2013

This photo shows the archway and drawbridge of:

The King’s Gate, Inner Curtain Wall, Dover Castle, United Kingdom

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 25, 2009
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2009/12/14 12:40:45
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 45.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/9.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash