Founded in 1859 as a chapel of the Russian Consulate, the present church was built in 1916. In this
time-honored church a Russian priest named Nikolai first introduced Greek Orthodoxy into Japan. It is characterized by an elegant look of Byzantine style and is affectionately called "Gangan-dera"(Ding-dong temple) by Hakodate citizens. A National Important Cultural Property.
Very beautiful night photo. Greetings!
Sign in to comment.
Photo taken in Motomachi, Hakodate, Hokkaido Prefecture 040-0054, Japan
Misplaced? Suggest new location