Godsfoe Tower, Devil's Tower of Dover Castle, Western Outer Curtain Wall, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (3)

John Latter on April 26, 2010

This view of Godsfoe's Tower in Dover Castle was taken from between the rear of the anti-tank gun position shown in the Crevecoeur Tower, Godsfoe Tower, Treasurer Tower photo and a late 19th Century building once used as the Garrison Commander's Stables.

The anti-tank gun position, Treasurer's Tower (alt. Clopton Tower), and the Constable Gateway are next on the curtain wall to the left (south), and Crevecoeur Tower (alt.Crevequer's Tower) is the next tower on the right (north).

The Trebucket located in the Keep Yard was moved by the Gurkhas in early 2010 to a new position: click to see the Trebuchet near Godsfoe Tower photo (a trebuchet is a medieval siege engine).

Extracts from "The History of the Town and Port of Dover and of Dover Castle (With a Short Account of the Cinque Ports)", Volume 2. Dedicated by the Reverend John Lyon, Minister of "Saint Mary`s", on April 21st, 1814, and published the same year:

Godsfoe Tower: The next tower in the curtain wall was built by Fulbert de Dover (also see Fulbert`s Tower), who gave the manor of Sentling, for the keeping ward in it.

Nicholas Veraund was appointed to this tower; and his successor, Godsfoe, gave his name to it.

As they had neither of them any historian to record their fame, or their family; or any herald to emblazon their arms, their names will probably perish with the tower they once defended.

Extract from the 1916 edition of "Annals of Dover", by John Bavington Jones:

Godsfoe Tower: This was also known as Devil's Tower. It was built by Fulbert de Dover. It is a square structure partly projecting from the walls.

Other locations in Dover containing the word "Devil" include:

  1. The Devil`s Tunnel (part of the North Centre Bastion fortification on the Western Heights)

  2. The Devil`s Door (opens into Hubert Passage from Old St James Church)

  3. The Devil`s Drop of Mortar (the Bredenstone of the Drop Redoubt: replica remains of the west Roman lighthouse, or Pharos, also on the Western Heights)

Click to see all photos of Dover Castle, an English Heritage site whose Pastscape website has an entry for Dover Castle which states:

Medieval castle possibly originating as a pre-1066 motte and bailey castle, remodelled during the reign of Henry II, to became a castle with concentric defences, one of the first examples of its kind in western Europe.

Much of this work was supervised by Maurice the Ingeniator (Maurice the Engineer) and started with piecemeal additions to the defences during the 1160s and 1170s and major construction work, including the Keep (or Great Tower), walls of the Inner Bailey and parts of the Outer Curtain Wall between 1179 and 1188.

Work during the reign of Henry III included strengthening of the defences and the modernising of the castle's accomodation. Much of this took place between 1217-57 and was supervised by Hubert de Burgh (first Earl of Kent). Additions included construction of St John's Tower outside the northern defences which was linked to the castle by a tunnel. Limited work on the castle and its defences took place during the 14th and 15th century and by the 17th century it was in neglect.

The castle was in use as a prison for prisoners of war from 1690 and until the 1740s when a programme of modernisation was started. This included the updating of the defences and construction of barracks, supervised by John Peter Desmaretz (military engineer, c. 1686-1768) . Further changes took place in response to the Napoleonic Wars. Much of this took place between 1794 and 1805 and was implemented by Lieutenant Colonel William Twiss, and included bombproofing of the keep, installation of additional gun batteries and outworks and the excavation of underground tunnels for communication and additional accomodation.

The castle was also adapted to protect itself from new explosive shells in 1853 and new barrack were constructed. The castle was used during World War I and World War II when features including anti aircraft and search light batteries were constructed. (Abridged)

Dover Castle is located upon the famous White Cliffs overlooking the town and port below. The Normans, beginning with William the Conqueror, built upon earlier Roman and Saxon fortifications on a site first selected by their Iron Age predecessors.

Dover Castle appears in "Dover in World War Two: 1942", a ten minute British Ministry of Information film, released by the US Office of War Information, and narrated by the American journalist, Edward R. Murrow.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Dover Castle, Castle Hill, Dover, Kent CT16 1HU, UK
Dover Castle

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 21, 2010
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2010/04/15 12:36:59
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 28.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/11.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups