This famous tourist attraction was built by a Portuguese captain by the name of Duarte Coelho who wanted to make this place a leading Catholic church. The chapel was turned by the Dutch into a burial ground for their noble dead and renamed 'St. Paul's Church' from the Portuguese 'Our Lady Of The Hill'. St. Francis Xavier was briefly enshrined in the open grave in 1553 before being shipped to Goa, India while this church remained one of Malacca's most recognizable landmarks.
Sign in to comment.
Photo taken in Kampung Tetek, Bandar Hilir, Malacca, Malaysia
St Paul's Church
Misplaced? Suggest new location