The tall ship Elissa is a three-masted barque. She is semi-permanently moored in Galveston, Texas.
For a small fee you can tour her daily at Texas Seaport Museum, on Pier 21, Galveston, Texas.
The Elissa was built in Aberdeen, Scotland as a merchant vessel in a time when steamships were overtaking sailing ships. She was originally launched on October 27, 1877. According to the descendants of Henry Fowler Watt, the Elissa's builder, she was named for the Queen of Carthage, Elissa, Aeneas' tragic lover in the epic poem The Aeneid.
The Elissa also sailed under Norwegian and Swedish flags. In Norway she was known as the Fjeld of Tønsberg and her master was Captain Herman Andersen. In Sweden her name was Gustav of Gothenburg.
The Elissa has an iron hull, and the pin rail and bright work is made of teak. Her masts are made of Douglas fir from Oregon, and her 19 sails were made in Maine.
The Elissa was rescued from destruction by ship preservationists who found her languishing in a salvage yard in Piraeus, Greece. She was purchased in 1975, by the Galveston Historical Foundation, her current owners.