In past,the Merdeka Square symbolized British sovereignty as it was a cricket ground for the colonial administrators and fronted the Royal Selangor Club, Malaya's most exclusive whites-only club.
The Royal Selangor Club (Malay: Kelab Di-Raja Selangor) is a social club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, founded in 1884 by the British who ruled Malaya. The club is situated next to the Dataran Merdeka, or Independence Square.
The club was founded as the Selangor Club in 1884 as a meeting point for educated and high-ranking members of British colonial society. Nevertheless, membership to the club is primarily determined by high educational and social standards, rather than race or citizenship. The organisation was initially based in a small wooden building with an attap roof at near the north eastern corner of the padang, which was replaced by a two-storey structure in 1890 on the west side of the padang, the present site of the club, and designed by AC Norman, a Government Architect. The building was later redesigned by architect Arthur Benison Hubback (who was notably credited for the design of the Kuala Lumpur Railway Station) and rebuilt in 1910, with two additional wings on either side of the main building and a Mock Tudor styling.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in City Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia