Elea bridge is one of the three medieval/venetian bridges in Cyprus, the other two being the Tzielefos bridge and the Roudia bridge. This is the smallest of the three bridges. It is where traders would meet and rest under the shade of the three olive trees – which explains the bridge’s name Tis Elias or Elia as it is also called (Elia = Olive Tree in greek).
The bridges were built in the Venetian period of 1489 to 1571.
These magnificent stone structures have withstood the test of time; the original trails have long since been demolished by rock falls and earthquakes. The bridges and mills in the Vretsia valley have now been designated as special monuments and are, as such, protected.