“Nunziatella” is a military academy in Naples, Italy. It sits prominently on the Chiatamone cliff directly over the bay, facing the parts of the city known as Chiaia, Mergellina and Posillipo. Due to its position and bright red color, it is very visible from the sea and the western part of the city. The name is a diminutive in Italian and refers to the chapel annex on the premises of the academy—literally, "Little Church of the Annunciation". The chapel had been expanded into a church for the Jesuits, and decorated with frescoes by Francesco De Mura, the altar by Giuseppe Sammartino, the floor drawn by Ferdinando Sanfelice and paintings by Paolo De Matteis, Ludovico Mazzanti, and Paceco De Rosa. The academy was founded by Ferdinando IV in 1787 to train the officer corps for the Kingdom of Naples. The academy was installed in a pre-existing building from 1588, originally built for Anna Mendozza Marchesana della Valle, a noblewoman who then gave the building to the Jesuit Order. The premises served in a religious capacity until the Jesuits were banned from the kingdom in the mid-1700s. Since the unification of Italy in 1861, the academy has remained a military preparatory school that has turned out officers for the kingdom and, later, republic of Italy. In more modern times the academy has encouraged graduates to pursue careers other than military. The most illustrious student ever to attend Nunziatella was the future king of Italy, Vittorio Emmanuele III.