The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (Greek: Εθνικόν και Καποδιστριακόν Πανεπιστήμιον Αθηνών), usually referred to simply as the University of Athens, has been in continuous operation since its establishment in 1837 and is the oldest institution of higher learning in the modern Greek state.
The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens was founded on May 3, 1837, and was housed in the residence of architects Stamatios Kleanthis and Eduard Schaubert, on the north slope of the Acropolis. It was the first university in Southeast Europe and the second academic institution after the Ionian Academy.
Before it was renamed to honour Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first chief of state of independent modern Greece, the university was known as the Othonian University after King Otto and consisted of four faculties; theology, law, medicine and arts (which included applied sciences and mathematics). It had 33 professors, 52 students and 75 non-matriculated “auditors”. In November 1841, classes began in a new building designed by the Danish architect Christian Hansen. The Propylaea was designed by Hansen's younger brother, Theophil Hansen in 1859 but the building project was not completed until 1885.
A major change in the structure of the University came about in 1904, when the faculty of Arts was divided into two separate faculties: that of Arts and that of Sciences, the latter consisting of the departments of Physics and Mathematics and the School of Pharmacy. In 1919, a department of chemistry was added, and in 1922 the School of Pharmacy was renamed a Department. A further change came about when the School of Dentistry was added to the faculty of medicine.
Between 1895 and 1911, an average of one thousand new students matriculated each year, a number which increased to two thousand at the end of World War I. This resulted in the decision to introduce entrance examinations for all the faculties, beginning for the academic year 1927-28. Since 1954 the number of students admitted each year has been fixed by the Ministry of Education and Religion, by proposal of the faculties.
During the 1960s construction work began on the University Campus in the suburb of Ilissia. The Ilissia campus now houses the Schools of Philosophy, Theology and Sciences.
Faculties and departments :
The University of Athens is divided into schools, faculties and departments as follows. The naming is nοt consistent in English for historical reasons, but in Greek the largest divisions are generally named “σχολές” (schools) and are divided in “τμήματα” (faculties), furthermore subdivided in “τομείς” (departments).
School of Theology
Faculty of Social Theology
Faculty of Theology
School of Philosophy
Faculty of Philology
Faculty of History and Archaeology
Faculty of Philosophy, Pedagogy and Psychology
Faculty of Psychology
Faculty of English Language and Literature
Faculty of French Language and Literature
Faculty of German Language and Literature
Faculty of Italian Language and Literature
Faculty of Spanish Language and Literature
Faculty of Slavic Studies
Faculty of Music Studies
Faculty of Theatre Studies
School of Law
School of Economics and Political Sciences
Faculty of Communication and Mass Media Studies
Faculty of Economic Studies
Faculty of Political Science and Public Administration
Faculty of Turkish and Modern Asian Studies
School of Sciences
Faculty of Physics
Faculty of Biology
Faculty of Geology and Geoenvironment
Faculty of Chemistry
Faculty of Mathematics
Faculty of Methodology, History & Theory of Science
Faculty of Informatics and Telecommunications
School of Health Sciences
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Pharmacy
Faculty of Nursing
School of Education
Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science
Faculty of Primary Education
Faculty of Early Childhood Education
Sign in to comment.