"Dull, disused market town"?
"[Chipping] Campden is a dull, clean, disused market town." Reverend F.E. Witts, The Diary of a Cotswold Parson, p.128 (1836).
One century later, Chipping Campden is anything but "dull" and "disused."
"CHIPPING CAMPDEN is among the most famous of all Cotswold attractions. Scarcely one false note intrudes; it is packed full of splendid architecture. Packed full of visitors, too, on a sunny day in high summer, and amidst such bustle it is hard to imagine that in 1836 the Cotswold parson, the Revd F. E. Witts, could write that 'Campden is a dull, clean, disused market town.'" Denis Moriarty, Buildings of the Cotswolds, p.60 (1989).
Chipping Campden is an icon of the Cotswolds.
Chipping Campden enjoyed its heyday in medieval times, its marketplace teeming with wool merchants. Merchants used their wealth to build St. James Church (a classic example of a perpendicular "wool church"). The almshouses, erected in 1612 and currently home to 12 pensioners, also are constructed of oolithic limestone, which is quarried in the Cotswold hills and which affords so many Cotswold structures with their honey-colored appearance.