Basilica Santa Maria degli Angeli Roma

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (9)

dziwnowik on November 23, 2010

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ✰✰✰✰✰✰ LIKE ✰✰✰✰✰✰ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

© panoramio. g_ on November 30, 2010

Thanks a bunch, Peter!



© panoramio. g_ on December 5, 2010

The basilica is dedicated to the Christian martyrs, known and unknown.[1] It was also a personal monument of Pope Pius IV, whose tomb is in the apsidal tribune that culminates the series of spaces.

The thermae of Diocletian dominated the Quirinal Hill with their ruined mass and had successfully resisted Christianization. Michelangelo Buonarroti worked from 1563 to 1564 to adapt a section of the remaining structure of the baths to enclose a church. Some later construction directed by Luigi Vanvitelli in 1749 only superficially distracts from the grand and harmonious Michelangelesque volumes. At Santa Maria degli Angeli, Michelangelo achieved an unexampled sequence of shaped architectural spaces with few precedents or followers. There is no true facade (illustration); the simple entrance is set within one of the coved apses of a main space of the thermae. The plan is developed from a Greek cross, with a transept so dominant, with its cubical chapels at each end, that the effect is of a transverse nave. The transept, with the Roman columns The raised space of the tribune

The vestibule with canted corners and identical side chapels[2] leads to a second vestibule, repeated on the far side of the transept, dominated by the over lifesize Saint Bruno of Cologne by Jean Antoine Houdon (1766).[3] The great vaulted transept gives a striking display of the magnificent scale of Roman constructions, 90.8 meters long, and with the floor that Michelangelo raised to bring it up to the Seicento street level, 28 meters high. Raising the floor truncated the red granite Roman columns (illustration on left) that articulate the transept and its flanking spaces. Michelangelo made the transept 27 meters wide, thus providing vast cubical spaces at each end of the transept.

In 2006, Polish-born sculptor Igor Mitoraj created new bronze doors as well as a statue of John the Baptist for the basilica.

Santa Maria degli Angeli was the official state church during the Kingdom of Italy (1870-1946). More recently, national burials have been held in the church. The church hosts the tombs of General Armando Diaz and Admiral Paolo Thaon di Revel, who were the commanders responsible for winning World War I on the Italian front.

William Henry Keeler is the Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Mariae Angelorum in Thermis.

australien67h on December 8, 2010



© panoramio. g_ on December 9, 2010

Thank you very much, australien.




uni* on December 12, 2010

Schönes Foto Panoramio, gefällt mir gut, Deine Aufnahme.

Beste Grüße uni*

© panoramio. g_ on December 12, 2010

Danke, uni*!

Bestes Grüße aus Köln,



Christos Theodorou on January 23, 2011

Wonderful capture - Best regards from Athens - like

© panoramio. g_ on January 24, 2011

Thank you very much, Christos.

All the best from Cologne,


Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 17, 2010
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by © panoramio. g_
    • Taken on 2010/11/03 14:08:28
    • Exposure: 0.001s (1/2000)
    • Focal Length: 18.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/4.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash