The Armoury was constructed in 1868 to house the 8th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers, re-using some of the stone from the medieval Bury Castle, which partially lies beneath. The façade is one of the most striking in Bury with its contrasting mix of Romanesque arched windows and Gothic detailing including gargoyles, turrets and towers. The drill hall was added in 1907. The gate tower has a large semi-circular arch incorporating a copy of 12th century detailing. Within the archway there is a timber portcullis detail and a coat of arms featuring the Lancashire Fusiliers. The building is still used as a base by the army.