Night Panorama of Space City and Jubilee Way, Dover Harbour, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (7)

John Latter on February 6, 2011

Looking more like a set from a futuristic science-fiction film, this view of the Ferry Port (see a larger size) in the Eastern Docks of Dover Harbour was taken from Gun Position 2 of St Martin`s Battery on the Western Heights across the River Dour valley.

The far side of the Ferry Port (1), once the Camber, is bounded by the Eastern Arm pier above which are the mottled mass of the White Cliffs of Dover and English Channel, the extent of foreshore visible indicating low tide. At bottom-right of the photo is part of Dover's Outer Harbour (ex-Admiralty Harbour).

Just above centre on the left-hand side, the Jubilee Way A2 bypass (2) sweeps in from the top of the cliffs at Broadlees Bottom, crosses the full width of the photo above the ferry port beneath, and then turns back on itself to "touch-down" at a roundabout near bottom-left where it is joined by the A20 coming in from the corner. The parallel red lines on the A20 are a composite light trail of the vehicles that braked before reaching the roundabout during the photo's 30 second exposure time (taken on Sunday, September 12th, 2010).

The darkened area behind the necklace of street lights to the left of the A20 are the houses of East Cliff, or Marine Parade. Charles Lightoller, second mate and senior surviving officer of the 1912 RMS Titanic iceberg disaster, lived at 8 East Cliff after joining the Royal Navy's Dover Patrol in 1916.

The Eastern Docks didn't receive its name until 1948. In Lightoller's time during the First World War, this area of Dover Harbour was "H.M. Dockyard, East Cliff" and was used for the dismantling of ships. In 1920 the Stanlee Shipbreaking & Salvage Co. Ltd. took over as commercial ship breakers and the following year they broke-up the dreadnought, HMS Temeraire (3):

HMS Temeraire was a Bellerophon-class battleship in the Royal Navy built at the Royal Dockyard, Devonport.

She was ordered under the 1906 Naval Estimates at the cost of GBP 1,641,114. Although not externally much different from predecessor HMS Dreadnought, internally she and others of the Bellerophon-class were much improved, with better sub-division of bulkheads against torpedo attack. A heavier secondary armament was believed to be capable of fighting off torpedo boat attacks.

For the majority of the First World War, Temeraire was a member of the 4th Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet. On a sweep of the North Sea on 18 March 1915, she unsuccessfully attempted to ram U-29 which had just attacked HMS Neptune (another dreadnought). During the summer of that year, she refitted at HM Dockyard, Devonport.

At the Battle of Jutland, Temeraire, under the command of Captain E.V. Underhill, fired 54 x 12-inch (300 mm) shells and received no damage. In October 1918, she was detached to the Eastern Mediterranean Squadron under the overall command of Vice Admiral Gough-Calthrope.

With the end of hostilities, Temeraire was converted to a cadet training ship (seagoing). With the other members of her class, she was regarded as obsolete and was decommissioned and sold for scrap in 1921. (4)

Click to see photos of HMS Temeraire.

Click to see all Ferry photos; related tags: Boats, Cruise Ships, Navy, Ships, Tug, Workboats.

(1) For passenger information and contact details for travelling to and from the Port, and facilities of the Ferry Terminal, download the Dover Ferry Port Passenger Guide, a pdf file from Port of Dover (the official website of the Dover Harbour Board).

Currently, P and O Ferries, Seafrance, and DFDS Seaways (Norfolk Line, Norfolkline) operate from Dover. Photos uploaded in 2011 include:

Spirit of Britain

Seafrance Berlioz

Click to see all Ferry photos.

(2) Wikipedia entry for A2 road (Great Britain):

The A2 is a major road in southern England, connecting London with the English Channel port of Dover in Kent. This route has always been of importance as a connection between the British capital of London and sea trade routes to Continental Europe. It was formerly known as the Dover Road.

The original A2 roughly followed the route of a Celtic ancient trackway which the Romans later paved and identified as Iter III on the Antonine Itinerary. The Anglo-Saxons named it Wæcelinga Stræt (Waecelinga Straet) which developed into the modern Watling Street. It was one of the most important Roman roads in Britain, since it linked London with Canterbury, and from there to three Channel ports: Richborough (Rutupiae); Dover (Dubris) and Lympne (Lemanis).

(3) Dover Museum webpage: Shipbreakers Yard, Eastern Docks

(4) Wikipedia entry for HMS Temeraire

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on March 14, 2013

Also see:

The Pastel Shades of Space City at Daybreak, Dover Harbour, United Kingdom

NB "P and O Ferries" is more usually written, P&O Ferries.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on February 6, 2011
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2010/09/12 05:57:22
    • Exposure: 30.000s
    • Focal Length: 200.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/22.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups