The Mothers’ House murals at the San Francisco Zoo was originally built in 1925 as a refuge for mothers and children. It served as the SF Zoo’s gift shop from 1978 to 2002. Two local artists who had been drawing animals at Fleishhacker Zoo (now the SF Zoo), Helen Forbes and Dorothy Puccinelli, applied for funding for a project under the PWAP. Given free reign in choosing their subjects, the two picked Noah and the Ark with the murals covering two 28’ foot walls reaching 12 feet high. An architectural and artistic treasure, the Mothers’ House was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1979.
Images of the Murals:
Two mosaic murals by the Bruton sisters, of children and of St. Francis with animals, flank the entrance to the San Francisco Zoo's Mother's Building.
The murals have stood the test of time except for a section damaged by moisture seeping into the building. Closed in 2002, The Mothers’ House Restoration & Refurbishing Society is now raising funds to restore the murals and reopen the building to the community for multiuse purposes, including education, conservation and research, in addition to small private and public functions.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Lakeshore, San Francisco, CA, USA
Misplaced? Suggest new location