Lifeboat RNLB 17-09 City of London II, Lifeboat Station, Dover Marina, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (5)

John Latter on February 16, 2011

The Dover Lifeboat, RNLB City of London II, moored to a floating pontoon against the Crosswall Quay of Dover's Tidal Harbour and Marina on Friday, the 14th of May, 2010. The building on top of the quay (on the other side of which is the non-tidal Granville Dock) is the Dover Lifeboat Station.

Also see RNLB 17-38 Daniel L Gibson Relief Lifeboat in the Tidal Harbour.

The hills behind the Station building are the Western Heights.

The first Dover Lifeboat Station was in the building under the Clock Tower at the landward end of the Prince of Wales Pier.

In the background, the small narrow dark-blue "bar" coming in from the right-hand edge of the photo is the Wellington swing-bridge on the far side of which is the non-tidal Wellington Dock. The left-hand side of the swing bridge is obscured by the upper part of the Dover Pilot Harbour Patrol launch, DHB Dovorian (Dover Harbour Board).

RNLB 17-09 City of London II (1)

The City of London branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) celebrated its centenary in 1994. To mark the occasion HRH Duke of Kent launched a 1.3 million pound appeal to fund the new Severn Class lifeboat for Dover.

Support for the appeal was outstanding. Thanks to the generosity of many companies, institutions and individuals within the Square Mile together with the bequests of Mrs E. Horsfield and Mrs G. Koss, the target was rapidly achieved.

17-09 City of London II arrived in March 1997 and is Dover's 16th lifeboat, succeeding the Thames class lifeboat, Rotary Service (50-001).

City of London II details:

Length: 17m

Beam: 6m

Draught: 1.8m

Top speed: 25 knots

Displacement: 44 tonnes

Crew: 6 + Doctor

Range: 250 nautical miles

The Severn class lifeboat, built by Green Marine, was designed and developed by RNLI staff to replace lifeboats that lay afloat such as the Arun and Waveney classes.

Stuart Richardson has been the Dover Coxswain since 2007; click to see the current crew list.

Severn-class lifeboat (2):

At 17 metres (55 ft 9 in) long, the Severn class lifeboat is the largest lifeboat operated by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI). Introduced to service in 1996, the class is named after the River Severn, the longest river in Great Britain. These rescue craft are stationed at 35 locations around the coasts of the United Kingdom and Ireland to provide coverage up to 50 miles (80 km) out to sea.

Severns are constructed of fibre reinforced composite material, and their hard chine semi-displacement hull is built so that it will stay afloat with two of its five compartments flooded. For added manoeuvrability, in addition to twin engines, the Severn also has a bow thruster fitted. The propellers are enclosed so that the Severn can take ground without damaging them. A Y Class inflatable boat can be deployed by an on-board crane for use in shallow water or confined spaces.

Severns have comprehensive electronics systems that include full MF and VHF Digital Selective Calling DFS radio equipment, Differential Global Positioning System DGPS Navigator, an electronic chart system, VHF/DF (Direction Finder), radar and weather sensors. Provision for survivors includes comprehensive first aid equipment including stretchers, oxygen and Entonox (a mix of 50% nitrous oxide and 50% oxygen, a medical anaesthesia gas). They carry a portable salvage pump in a water-tight container, and can also carry out pumping and fire-fighting tasks using the engine-driven general service pump.

The Severn class lifeboat is succeeded by the Tamar class lifeboat.

History of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (3)

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) is a charity that saves lives at sea around the coasts of Great Britain, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, as well as on selected inland waterways.

The RNLI was founded on 4 March 1824 as the National Institution for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck by Sir William Hillary, 1st Baronet (4 January 1771 - 5 January 1847) and English soldier, author and philanthropist (4):

At a Public Meeting of Noblemen, Gentlemen, Merchants, and others, held at the City of London Tavern, this day,

His Grace the Archbishop Of Canterbury (Charles Manners-Sutton) in the Chair,

The following resolutions were passed unanimously:

I. Upon the motion of his Grace; seconded by Captain Bowles, Royal Navy - That an Institution be now formed for the Preservation of Life in cases of Shipwreck on the Coasts of the United Kingdom, to be supported by donations and annual subscriptions; and to be called the "National Institution for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck."

II. Moved by William Wilberforce, Esq. Member of Parliament (leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade); seconded by Captain Deans Dundas, R. N. - That medallions or pecuniary rewards be given to those who rescue lives in cases of shipwreck.

III. Moved by the Lord Bishop of London; seconded by Mr. Alderman Bridges, M. P. - That such immediate assistance be afforded to persons rescued as their necessities may require.

IV. Moved by the Lord Bishop of Chester; seconded by William Manning, Esq. M. P. - That relief be supplied to the widows and families of persons who may unfortunately perish in their attempts to save the lives of others. (more)

Sir William Hillary had gone to live on the Isle of Man in 1808. Being aware of the treacherous nature of the Irish Sea, with many ships being wrecked around the Manx coast, he drew up plans for a national lifeboat service manned by trained crews. Initially he received little response from the Admiralty but on appealing to the more philanthropic members of London society, the plans were adopted with the help of two members of parliament - Thomas Wilson and George Hibbert - the National Institution for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck came into being.

It subsequently became the National Lifeboat Institution in 1854 (with the first of the new lifeboats to be built stationed at Douglas, Isle of Man, in recognition of the work of Sir William), and then received Royal Patronage from King George IV of England and Ireland shortly after. It now operates as an international service to the peoples of the UK and Ireland and has official charity status in each nation.

A Dover Harbour photo.

Click to see all Lifeboat photos (related tags: Boats, Cruise Ships, Ferries, Ships, Tugs, and Workboats).

(1) The Dover Lifeboat website

(2) Wikipedia entry for Severn-class lifeboat

(3) Wikipedia entry for Royal National Lifeboat Institution

(4) An Appeal To The British Nation On The Humanity And Policy Of Forming A National Institution For The Preservation Of Lives And Property From Shipwreck, William Hillary (1825)

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on February 22, 2011

Another photo showing Dover Lifeboat Station:

Panorama of the Tidal Harbour and Dover Marina from South Pier

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on February 12, 2011
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2010/05/14 11:42:34
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 23.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/13.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups