On September 8, 1870, Wooster opened its doors as a university, with a faculty of five and a student body of thirty men and four women.
In December of 1901, “Old Main,” the College’s original main academic building, was destroyed in a fire. One year later to the day, four new academic buildings had been built and were dedicated to replace it. These buildings were Scovel, Severance, Taylor and Kauke Halls.
Kauke Hall was built literally on the ashes of Old Main — in fact, Kauke’s foundation still contains bricks from the original foundation. It was designed to last: the floorboards are four inches thick, and the exterior is a combination of brick, terra cotta, and Ohio limestone. The building was named after trustee and college supporter Captain John C. Kauke.
Sign in to comment.
Photo taken in Wooster, OH 44691, USA
Misplaced? Suggest new location