Peverell's Gateway and Keep, Western Outer Curtain Wall, Dover Castle, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (6)

John Latter on October 17, 2007

The round tower abutting Dover Castle's Peverell's Tower with the south-eastern side of the massive Keep (center background) looming up above the un-crenellated walls of the Inner Bailey (right midground).

Peverell's Tower (which disappears out of shot on the left, click to see a view from the north) was built in the early 13th Century and according to a plaque within the archway was "possibly named after William Peverell (alt. William de Peverell), Constable 1066".

Note the restored/altered brickwork to the left of the round tower window.

From "Dover Castle" by R. Allen Brown (Her Majesty's Stationery Office, HMSO 1974) (Abridged):

Peverell's Gate or Tower marks the juncture of the work of King John and Henry III, and is itself a composite structure of both reigns. It basically consists of a great mural tower with a spurred base, facing the field and backing on to a gateway within the castle facing north and south. Henry III further fortified this gateway by adding a semicircular tower facing south. Within the main passage way of the gate an archway, now blocked, led off at right-angles northwards to the vanished Harcourt Tower. Peverell was further altered about 1300 and the remarkable conical roof (see above photo), with its king-post to the apex inside, may date from. that time. The original battlemented top was replaced by the present unsightly brick parapet evidently in the early nineteenth century.

From "The History of the Castle, Town and Port of Dover" by Reverend S. P. H. Statham, Rector of St Mary-in-the-Castle (ie St Mary-in-Castro) (Longmans, Green, and Co., 1899):

Peverell's Tower, also called The Marshal's, Beauchamp's, and the Bell Tower. The manors of Wrensted and Throwley in Kent were responsible for the up-keep of this fine tower, which with its arched gateway, ditch [moat] and drawbridge constituted the entrance into the middle ward. At one time it was used as a prison and the residence of the marshal, and hence its name. On the side of the tower fronting the keep there was an arched passage from the main gate, which communicated with the caponiere [alt. caponier, caponner] leading under Harcourt's Tower. The arms of Hugh Beauchamp, marshal of the Castle, were cut on a stone shield placed on the front of the tower, and were visible in 1801, when the stone was removed. The original battlements have been replaced by a parapet of brick. In 1771 the wall between this tower and Port [ie Port Tower, alt. Laswells, Gostling or Queen Mary's Tower] fell down, and in digging for a new foundation the piers of the old bridge before the gate were discovered.

Peverell's Tower is also sometimes called Peverell's Gate, Peverell's Gateway, Peverell's Tower and Gate.

John Latter on October 24, 2007
John Latter on November 18, 2010

Click to see:

Peverell Gateway from the South

Peverell Gateway from Palace Gateway

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Dover Castle, Castle Hill, Dover, Kent CT16 1HU, UK

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 1, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2007/09/30 11:10:07
    • Exposure: 0.006s (1/180)
    • Focal Length: 18.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/11.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups