In 1904, the Clark Thread Company, a Scottish textile company, purchased the old Acworth Hosier Mill, and in 1932 built Clarkdale, one of the last planned communities in Georgia. Engineers and a construction firm were hired to design and build the whole mixed use community on fifty acres. The Coats and Clark Threadmill was built on top of a hill, surrounded to the west at the bottom of the hill by 138 homes on curvilinear tree lines streets. The recreation facilities and green spaces planned in the original village and added during its first twenty years remain part of the historic district.
In 1950, the mill civic association added Pineview Lake and stocked it with fish. The mill began selling the homes to residents in the 1960s. After the mills thread making operations ceased in 1983, the new owners nominated the district to the National Register of Historic Places, noting that the village remains today almost without intrusion as it was first designed and built. The Clarkdale Mill and Village were added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The building sat vacant for a number of years and in late-2001 the City of Austell purchased the building. Today, the complex is a multi-use function housing numerous City, County, and State offices as well private offices. The entire third floor of the complex is leased to Caraustar, a recycled paperboard and packaging company and also is the parent company for Austell Box Board Corporation and Sweetwater Paper Board.
Great shot with the tree-lined road and all that fog! Well done.
Wonderfully edited photo. Keep up the good work. L&F
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Austell, GA, USA
Misplaced? Suggest new location