The Externsteine were a centre of religious activity for the Teutonic peoples and their predecessors prior to the arrival of Christianity in northern Europe. Research into this area was carried out as early as 1564 by Hermann Hamelmann.
However, archaeological excavations did not produce any findings earlier than the 11th century BC, other than some Paleolithic and Mesolithic stone tools dating to before about 10,000 BC. So the precise date when people first began to use the rocks for pagan rituals has not yet been established.
The last pagan inhabitants of the region were Saxons until their defeat and conversion by Emperor Charlemagne. After conquering Eresburg in 772, Charlemagne is reported to have ordered the destruction of the Saxon Irminsul; (Wilhelm Teudt in the 1920s suggested that the location of the Irminsul had been at the Externsteine). A church dedicated to St Peter was built on the same spot. There is also evidence of an early monastery, which might have been founded as early as 815. The findings, however, are not yet conclusive, though the dating of 1093 has been proven false by art historians, who date the relief to early 9th century. One inscription indicates that the Bishop of Paderborn consecrated the grotto in the western columns as a Christian chapel in the early 12th century.
Könnte eine Kulisse aus Herr der Ringe sein...Gefällt mir sehr gut...Gruß Schmeukel
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Externsteine, Externsteiner Straße, 32805 Horn-Bad Meinberg, Germany
Misplaced? Suggest new location