Panorama of Wellington Dock and Dover Castle near Sunset, Dover Marina, Kent, UK

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (6)

John Latter on May 10, 2011

A Dover Panorama looking northwards across the masts of boats and yachts moored in the Wellington Dock of Dover Marina taken on an evening cycle ride (1) at 6.12 pm, Sunday the 8th of May, 2011.

Dover Harbour's non-tidal Wellington Dock has two sunsets. The first being a "local" one as the sun moves further to the left behind the viewer and starts dropping below the Western Heights.

At the base of the Western Heights cliffs (part of the White Cliffs of Dover, but just not the whitest part), houses on Snargate Street and the A20 dual carraigeway are already in shadow; the terminator will rapidly move across the rest of the dock towards the seafront and beach, out-of-shot to the right, by which time I'll be home and opening a can of coca-cola.

Left-of-centre on this side of the foreground floating pontoon at mooring berth no. 49 is the white sailing yacht, Kinship from Eastbourne's Sovereign Harbour.

To the left of Kinship on the other side of the pontoon is the motor launch, Ocean Mist. One of the people in the cabin is turning away (camera shy) and the other looks asleep (oi, you! doncha know I'm trying to make ya famous?).

To the right of Kinship at berth no. 50 is the dark blue-hulled motor launch, Baleka. Directly above the Baleka at the next floating pontoon is the Entice of Dover.

To the right of Baleka at berth no. 51 is the red-hulled sailing yacht, Trilogy.

There are two white-and-brick terraces on the right-hand side of the photo belonging to Waterloo Crescent. The one on the edge of the picture is the rear of Dover Harbour Board's, "Harbour House". The longer terrrace to the left is the rear of the new Dover Marina Hotel and Spa, ex-White Cliffs Hotel and ex-Churchill Hotel.

Below the Dover Marina Hotel are the long roofs of the De Bradlelei Wharf shopping centre and Cullins Yard Restaurant (which is also a pub).

Although not visible, the far end of Wellington Dock is where the River Dour reaches the sea.

The trees below the skyline on the left-hand side of the photo cover Connaught Park with another Victorian park, the Zig-Zags, to its right.

The Keep, or Great Tower (night view), of Dover Castle (12th Century Norman) dominates the centre of the skyline. It was built by Henry II, stands 83 feet high and has walls up to 21 feet thick.

To the right of the Keep, and partially obscured by masts is the East Roman Pharos (watchtower/lighthouse), which stands immediately adjacent to the Saxon church of St Mary-in-Castro.

Other castle features visible in the above photo are identified in the caption to The Keep and Western Outer Curtain Wall of Dover Castle from the Harbour.

Burlington House is the large brown building below the Keep at the far end of Wellington Dock. The "white square" to the left of Burlington House is shown in the Night Panorama of Townwall Street and York Street Roundabout, Dover photo. Parts of Victoria Park extend either side of Burlington House.

Out-of-shot to the left is the Lower Entrance to the the Grand Shaft, a triple staircase bored down through the cliffs and part of a huge Napoleonic and Victorian "Forgotten Fortress" embedded into the Western Heights. Recommended is the The Grand Shaft Underground Triple Stairway photo which looks up at the sky from the bottom of the shaft.

The Victorian Fairbairn Crane is out-of-shot to the right on Esplanade Quay (ex-Ordnance Quay).

Recent photos of Wellington Dock include:

Mystery of the Victorian Fairbairn Crane on Esplanade Quay

Panorama of Wellington Dock of Dover Marina at Sunrise

Panorama of Wellington Dock at Sunrise, Dover Marina

Wellington Dock is a Grade II Listed Building (2).

The following extracts are © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under the terms of the Click-Use Licence (PSI licence number C2010002016):

Building Details:

Building Name: WELLINGTON DOCK AND ASSOCIATED STRUCTURES, INCLUDING CRANE SITUATED ON ESPLANADE QUAY Parish: DOVER District: DOVER County: KENT Postcode:

Details:

LBS Number: 507159 Grade: II Date Listed: 16/12/2009 Date Delisted: NGR: TR3184940985

Listing Text:

DOVER

685/0/10036 Wellington Dock and associated structures, including crane situated on Esplanade Quay 16-DEC-09

II Dock. Part of the eastern side was constructed in 1832, part of the western side in 1833-4 and the remainder by 1844 by James Walker. The C20 (C20 means 20th Century) swing bridge, C20 concrete extension to Ballast Quay and De Bradelei warehouses are not of special interest.

MATERIALS: Lined in Portland stone ashlar blocks with granite coping.

PLAN: It comprises a number of individually named quays which together comprise Wellington Dock. It is narrower towards the north and widens to the south where it is bounded by Union Street.

DESCRIPTION:

ESPLANADE QUAY: situated between the C20 (20th Century) swing bridge at the south end and Slip Quay to the north, is a straight section aligned north east to south west retaining a number of cast iron cleats and a crane.

CRANE: The crane is a small hand-driven rotatory crane with swan-necked jib of riveted box frame construction. It was built by the Fairburn Engineering Co. of Manchester in 1868. It was once used by the Ordnance Department and was originally capable of lifting 50 tons. It was later de-rated to 20 tons and used for lifting yachts out of Wellington Dock.

HISTORY: Although visible fabric does not pre-date the early-C19 (19th Century), Wellington Dock follows the approximate outlines of part of the C16 harbour developments west of the town. The layout of the dock can be traced back to the early outline of the Great Pent built in the C16 as the replacement to the original first paradise devised by John Clerk in the early C16. The arrangement of docks and basins, now comprising the Wellington Dock, Granville Dock and Crosswall Quay, was originally arranged to take advantage of a shingle bar which formed a lagoon behind which the River Dour flowed. A large cross wall was built across the lagoon to form the Great Pent. This relates to the present Wellington Dock, from whose north end the River Dour flows. Water from the River Dour was then released through a sluice to clear the other half, or Great Paradise, of silt. The position of this crosswall is still present as Union Street, now containing a C20 swing bridge, replacing an earlier one of 1849 which was probably in or near the location of the original sluice.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Wellington Dock, Dover Harbour is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Wellington Dock has historical interest because it occupies the approximate footprint of the Great Pent, shown on maps of Dover since 1595.

The handsome ashlar walls with granite coping date from the early 1830s and were completed by 1844. James Walker, the distinguished maritime engineer who inherited Thomas Telford's unfinished commissions, is responsible for the post 1834 dock walls.

The crane at Esplanade Quay, Cullins slip and various cleats, bollards and mooring rings are reminders of Dover's shipbuilding and trading past.

Source: English Heritage.

A Dover Harbour photo: click to see all Wellington Dock, Dover Marina, Dover Panorama, and Fairbairn Crane photos.

Also see all photos of Dover's Listed Buildings, and English Heritage sites.

(1) One lap of Robsons Yard - Eastern Docks - Prince of Wales Pier - Robsons Yard.

(2) Grade II: buildings that are "nationally important and of special interest".

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

John Latter on May 10, 2011

Also see a second photo, taken from further to the left nearer to the A20 Prince of Wales roundabout:

Panorama of Dover Castle and Wellington Dock near Sunset

John Latter on August 19, 2011

Waterloo Crescent (ex-White Cliffs Hotel, ex-Churchill Hotel; now Dover Marina Hotel) is a Grade II Listed Building. See:

A Golden Panorama of the Victorian Waterloo Crescent at Sunrise, Dover

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on May 9, 2011
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2011/05/08 18:12:20
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 28.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/11.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups