Trees: they keep going, and going...

Not selected for Google Earth or Google Maps [?]

Comments (12)

Lilypon on October 11, 2007

LOLOL I'm actually starting to feel claustrophobic (I need to get away from the prairies for awhile I think). ;)

Thank you for showing (off) your fully leaved trees Ryan! :)

Ryan Calhoun on October 11, 2007

Pam, the photos which I've taken around here showing open farmland and towns, this land makes up only about 20% of the region. The other 80% is like this, broken only by roads, and occasional houses or other structures. It's almost all hills with no vantage point from which to see the shape of the landscape. Almost no grass and hardly any vines (just the heavier slow-growing woody vines), plenty of weeds and lots of dead leaves all year round.

As of October 12, almost all the leaves are still green.

I'm happy to share the forest with you! Cheers, Ryan

May M. B. (Swissmay) on October 11, 2007

I like this photo Ryan! The light on some green leaves and the main spot on the nicely coloured trunk of the tree. and the sky shining through the foliage. Beautiful!

Greetings, May

Lilypon on October 11, 2007

The differences between our respective locations are amazing! I certainly have seen trees in the background of your pics but I had no idea how much land there was still forest. It truly seems very silly that we have tree farms here and where you are people are clearing trees to grow crops.

Ryan Calhoun on October 12, 2007

Thanks, May! Yes, it's wonderful the way the sinking sun filters through the leaves, casting spotlights in various places. And the light seems to change every minute until it disappears.

Pam, now you see how I can call your trees small without meaning any insult! :-) And with your northern climate and shortened growing season, it takes them many more years to reach the same size, and only the strongest of them will live long enough to do so. Plus, this is cicada country, so the trees grow even faster every 3, 5, 13, and 17 years after the cicadas die. It does seem silly, this tree imbalance, but getting the trees from here to there would be a bit of a problem.

Greetings, Ryan

Tamás Borbély on October 12, 2007

This a very beautiful photo, with beautiful lights, Ryan !Greetings, Tamás

Jessica G. on October 12, 2007

Still green! Our trees are almost all bare by now. I went on the second day of fall to catch some pictures of the leaves at a nearby park, and was disappointed to see that a lot of the trees were half leafless already. But it'll happen to yours too, eventually. ;) Take advantage of the leaves while you can! I'll say it again, the lighting's very beautiful.

Ryan Calhoun on October 12, 2007

Thanks, Tamás and Jessica! I'm really hoping we'll get some good color before they all fall. It's finally cool enough now that it actually feels like Autumn for the first time. I guess I'll know in a few weeks. Ryan

Lilypon on October 12, 2007

Ryan Panoramio was down this morning before I left and now I can see my home page but I can't see any further than page 1....clicking on any other page number brings up this message "Panoramio is down for maintenance".

Are you seeing this message too?

Ryan Calhoun on October 12, 2007

Nope, it seems fine to me. But now that you've left this comment, it will probably spread!

Marilyn Whiteley on October 13, 2007

Lilypon, I happened to see it, too. I hope that for you it was only brief, as it was for me.

Ryan, I agree--the lighting is beautiful, and this is one of the times when that tree trunk belongs right in the center, with the other trees and branches arching toward it.

Ryan Calhoun on October 13, 2007

Thanks, Marilyn. I had several different framings, most vertical to give more height. But in the end I decided on this one for just the reason you mentioned, that it showed more of the width of the forest, with other trees and branches all arching out to cover up the sky. Greetings, and welcome back! Ryan

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 11, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Ryan Calhoun
    • Camera: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
    • Taken on 2007/10/05 17:40:17
    • Exposure: 0.013s (1/80)
    • Focal Length: 17.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/6.300
    • ISO Speed: ISO400
    • Exposure Bias: -0.67 EV
    • No flash