Peverell's Gateway or Tower, Western Outer Curtain Wall, Dover Castle, Kent, UK (2)

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (6)

John Latter on October 24, 2007

The north face of Peverell's Gate in Dover's 12th Century Norman Castle.

Beyond the Gate, Hurst's Tower and Fulbert's Tower can be seen as the west outer curtain wall makes it's way to the cliff-edge (Gatton and Say's Tower are blocked from view). Beyond lies the English Channel.

Through the archway are the wooden rails lining the drawbridge.

Behind the viewer, the outer curtain wall continues first to Queen Mary's Tower (alt. Port Tower, Porth Tower) and then on to Constable's Tower.

The large roofed building on the left of the above photo is actually part of Peverell's Gate. On the far left, however, the smaller roofed building with the dormer-type window is part of the 'Sergeant-Major's House' which is now let out by English Heritage. In April, 2006, The Times wrote:

The Sergeant Major’s House at Dover Castle sleeps six plus a baby and costs £755 for a week in May.

Peverell's Gate was built in the early 13th Century and according to a plaque within the archway was "possibly named after William Peverell (alt. William de Peverell), Constable 1066".

From "Dover Castle" by R. Allen Brown (Her Majesty's Stationery Office, HMSO 1974) (Abridged):

Peverell's Gate or Tower marks the juncture of the work of King John and Henry III, and is itself a composite structure of both reigns. It basically consists of a great mural tower with a spurred base, facing the field and backing on to a gateway within the castle facing north and south. Henry III further fortified this gateway by adding a semicircular tower facing south. Within the main passage way of the gate an archway, now blocked, led off at right-angles northwards to the vanished Harcourt Tower. Peverell was further altered about 1300 and the remarkable conical roof, with its king-post to the apex inside, may date from. that time. The original battlemented top was replaced by the present unsightly brick parapet evidently in the early nineteenth century.

From "The History of the Castle, Town and Port of Dover" by Reverend S. P. H. Statham, Rector of St Mary-in-the-Castle (ie St Mary-in-Castro) (Longmans, Green, and Co., 1899):

Peverell's Tower, also called The Marshal's, Beauchamp's, and the Bell Tower. The manors of Wrensted and Throwley in Kent were responsible for the up-keep of this fine tower, which with its arched gateway, ditch [moat] and drawbridge constituted the entrance into the middle ward. At one time it was used as a prison and the residence of the marshal, and hence its name. On the side of the tower fronting the keep there was an arched passage from the main gate, which communicated with the caponiere [alt. caponier, caponnier] leading under Harcourt's Tower. The arms of Hugh Beauchamp, marshal of the Castle, were cut on a stone shield placed on the front of the tower, and were visible in 1801, when the stone was removed. The original battlements have been replaced by a parapet of brick. In 1771 the wall between this tower and Port [ie Port Tower, alt. Laswells, Gostling or Queen Mary's Tower] fell down, and in digging for a new foundation the piers of the old bridge before the gate were discovered.

Constable's Tower is also known as Constable's Gate, Constable's Gateway, Constable's Tower and Gate; similarly Peverell's Gate is also sometimes called Peverell's Tower, Peverell's Gateway, Peverell's Tower and Gate.

John Latter on October 24, 2007
John Latter on December 31, 2009

Click to see Peverell`s Gateway from the South.

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Blog: The Psychology of a Small Town

This is the Images of Dover website: click on any red or blue "John Latter" link to access the Entry Page.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on October 13, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by John Latter
    • Camera: PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K100D
    • Taken on 2007/10/06 16:07:10
    • Exposure: 0.006s (1/180)
    • Focal Length: 28.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/6.700
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash