Núpsstaður is the easternmost farm in Skaftárhreppur district and lies east of Lómagnúpur. At Núpsstaður there are remarkable old buildings that are believed to be typical for farms in Iceland in past centuries. The most noteworthy of these is the chapel, one of few remaining turf churches in the country. It is believed that the chapel is mostly from a church that was built around 1650, but a church was abandoned there in 1765. In 1930 the chapel was the first house in the country to be proclaimed inviolate, and in 1961 it was re-consecrated. The beauty of the environment surrounding Núpsstaður is well known. The area reaches from the ocean and black sands and all the way to Vatnajökull. Núpsstaður lies right by the Skaftafell National Park and volcanic eruptions, glaciers and lakes have shaped the environment there, in addition to shaping diverse formations.