Grendon Hall was pulled down in 1933, but some of its 18th-century outbuildings (stables, &c.) have now been converted into tenements.
West of it is an ancient hump-backed bridge across the River Anker. The bridge, of coursed ashlar, may be of the 15th century and has four depressed pointed arches below the 11-ft. roadway, and piers with cut-waters on both north and side faces. The arches have no ribs; only one pier has the V-shaped recesses on the restored parapets: the tops of the others have been sloped back below the parapets. The bridge is not now used for traffic, the road having been diverted southwards to cross the Anker at the mill, and the present bridge was built in 1825.
From: 'Parishes: Grendon', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 4: Hemlingford Hundred (1947), pp. 75-80.
The Bridge is a Grade II* Listed Building for info see here...
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Polesworth, Warwickshire, UK