The Obelisk was erected in 1846 at the time of finding the remains of Chapel of St. Leonard, which had been demolished in 1538 (On the order of Henry VIII).
The obelisk was commissioned by Sir George Chetwynd to commemorate the site of the Chapel of St Leonard of Hoo which had been demolished in 1538. The graveyard for the Chapel was rediscovered during the construction of the Trent Valley Railway Line. Originally erected on the opposite side of the Grendon Road, the obelisk was re-sited in 1901 when the railway line was widened.
The Chapel of St. Leonard was dedicated and endowed with land by a Roger de Grendon in the first half of the twelfth century. A later Roger de Grendon gave the chapel to the Nuns of Polesworth Abbey. It was demolished in 1538 during the dissolution of the monasteries under King Henry VIII religious reforms.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Polesworth, Warwickshire, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location