The Dungeness area, in the early days, was a thriving community. Early settlers saw the need for a school. At a May 10, 1892, meeting, votes were cast in favor of bonding the Dungeness District for $3000 to buy land, clear and fence it, and build and furnish a two-story school. The Dungeness School opened on February 27, 1893, with 73 pupils ranging in age from 5 to 20 years. The teacher received $75 a month for a four month term, ending June 30. Living quarters were provided on the second floor. Classes were large and books and supplies not easy to get. School Board minutes of April 8, 1895, show a motion was passed to buy the school a bottle of ink. As years passed, a rivalry grew between Dungeness and the rapidly growing town of Sequim. Pupils were leaving to attend Sequim High School. To meet this competition, the building was remodeled in 1921. Modern heating, plumbing, and equipment were installed. A new wing provided a large hall and wide stairs to the second floor where there was room for a large auditorium and four classrooms. The additions did not have the desired results, for Sequim High School was accredited, and Dungeness was not. Accreditation was not based on the quality of the education provided, but on the fact that there were not 16 high school pupils in Dungeness. From 1923 on, there were no more high school classes. From 1923 to 1940, two teachers taught eight classes, after which 7th and 8th graders were sent to Sequim. In 1955, the Dungeness and Sequim School Districts were consolidated, and the old Dungeness School was closed. In 1967, seeing its potential as a community center, the Dungeness Community Club purchased the land and the building from the Sequim School District. Following the refurbishing of the building with many hours of volunteer work, the school was maintained for many years through the efforts of the Community Club and Women of the Dungeness. In 1995, faced with rising maintenance costs, the schoolhouse was donated to the local museum and is now operated as a division of the Museum & Arts Center The Dungeness School was designated a Washington State Historical Site in 1973. On May 19, 1988, this beautiful old building was listed on the National Register of Historical Places.