Kaliakra Cross

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

The name "Kaliakra" is of Byzantine Greek origin. It is a combination of "καλός" ("beautiful") and "άκρα" ("headland" or "fortress") and is traditionally translated as "Beautiful Headland".[1][3]

Kaliakra was the site of the naval Battle of Cape Kaliakra on 11 August 1791, part of the Russo-Turkish War (1787–1792).

The first modern lighthouse on Kaliakra was built in 1866 by the Compagnie des Phares de l’Empire Ottomane; the present one (a 10-m cylindrical stone masonry tower with lantern and gallery) was erected in 1901, with focal plane height of 68 m and a white flash (every 5 seconds); it also has a radio navigation emitter and a foghorn.[2]

Near Kaliakra, there is a large mediumwave broadcasting facility, which went never in service as planned. Currently (2009), several wind power facilities are under development in the vicinity. The area now has 3 championship golf courses designed by the legendary golfers Gary Player and Ian Woosnam.


Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Comments (46)

Krystyna Koch on May 15, 2012

Very interesting and beautiful:)

LIKE Friendly greetings from Poland:) Krystyna.

Maziyar Heydari on May 16, 2012


C haydeé on May 18, 2012

¡Bellos colores! ¡Preciosa definición!


Un saludo cordial, Chaydeé.

Maziyar Heydari on May 19, 2012

Thankful Dear Chaydeé

Manek Taolin on May 19, 2012

Beautiful cross!


Best regards from Indonesia

Maziyar Heydari on May 19, 2012

Very Thanks Dear Manek Taolin

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on July 30, 2011
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Maziyar Heydari
    • Camera: FUJIFILM FinePix HS20EXR
    • Taken on 2011/07/28 20:10:51
    • Exposure: 0.001s (1/800)
    • Focal Length: 12.30mm
    • F/Stop: f/4.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO100
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash