Gereja Sion

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (2)

henrivandeputte on November 26, 2007

Sejarah singkat gereja GPIB "Sion"

Asal nama Gereja SION adalah "De Nieuwe Portugeesche Buitenkerk" ( Gereja Portugis Baru diluar tembok kota), dinamakan demikian karena Gereja Sion terletak di luar tembok kota Betawi. Pendirinya ialah pengusaha Belanda di zaman VOC pada abad ke-17, bekerja sama dengan kalangan Gereja Protestan.

Persetujuan rencana proyek dilakukan tahun 1692 dengan perancang bangun Mr. Ewout Verhagen dari Rotterdam, seorang saudagar berkebangsaan Belanda.

Peletakkan batu pertama gedung ini terjadi pada tanggal 19 oktober 1693 sedangkan peresmian gedung gereja berlangsung 2 tahun kemudian yaitu tanggal 23 oktober 1695 dan pentahbisan diantar oleh Pdt. Theodorus Zas dalam kebaktian minggu.

Bangunan gereja terletak diatas sebidang tanah dengan luas 6.725 m². Bentuk fisik bangunan persegi empat dengan ukuran 24 x 32 meter, pada bangunan belakang kemudian dibuat dari batu bata dengan kerangka ramuan kayu ebonite balok-balok besar, beratap genteng bermutu baik dan pondasi 10.000 tiang kayu "dolken". Gedung gereja "Sion" dapat menampung 1.000 jemaat.

Terletak di jalan Pangeran Jayakarta No.1 Jakarta (letaknya dipojok persimpangan lampu merah)

Tuhan memberkati saudara.........

A short history of the Sion church.

The original name of the Sion church is “De Nieuwe Portugeesche Buitenkerk” or the “New Portuguese Church outside the walls”. The church was built just outside the city walls of Batavia.

It has been erected with funding of VOC merchants, who were members of the Protestant church and build for Portuguese slaves who converted from Catholics to Protestants. These slaves received their freedom after they were converted and were called Mardijkers or liberated ones (Mardijk comes from the Sanskrit word Mardhikka which means freedom)

In 1692 the building of the church was agreed and the drawings were made by Mr. Ewout Verhagen a merchant from Rotterdam. The first stone of the building was laid on October 19th, 1693 and the church was finished within 2 years. The church was first used on Sunday October 1695 by Rev. Theodorus Zas.

The church is built on a piece of land measuring 6.725 square meters, the church measures 24 x 32 meters. It is made out of bricks, with plastered walls, a granite floor and the framework has been made out of ebony wood, the roof is covered with high quality roof-tiles. The foundation rests on 10.000 poles called “dolken”. The building offers place to 1000 believers.

The address of the church is: Jalan Pangeran Jayakarta No.1 Jakarta near Kota station.

Zephora on January 29, 2011

thank you for sharing! I love this church!

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Pinangsia, Tamansari, West Jakarta City, Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Republic of Indonesia

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 12, 2007
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by henrivandeputte
    • Camera: SONY DSC-W40
    • Taken on 2007/05/09 07:12:46
    • Exposure: 0.005s (1/200)
    • Focal Length: 6.30mm
    • F/Stop: f/7.100
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups