(Wiltshire Community History)
Church of All Saints, Maiden Bradley
It is fairly certain that there was a Saxon church or chapel here thet survived well into the Norman period. The church was first mentioned in 1102 but the earliest features of the present church are the north bay of three arcades and the foundation of the wall of the north aisle, which date from c.1175. The south arcade is of the early 14th century and in 1328 there was chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary near the north aisle. There was a major reconstruction in 1385, which created the church that we see today. The present chancel, nave, south aisle, tower, and porch were built while the north aisle was rebuilt on old foundations. The tower seems to have been built in two stages for the lower part is in the Decorated style while the top, like the porch, is Perpendicular. Like many others, the church was somewhat neglected in the late 16th and early 17th centuries and it seems that at this time the chancel was shortened by 12 feet and the present east wall built. Box pews, and probably a gallery, were added to the church in the 17th century. There seems to have been no damage done to the church in the Civil War as it was under the protection of the Parliamentarian, Sir Edmund Ludlow.
There is a fine monument to Sir Edward Seymour (died 1707), designed by Michael Rysback, erected in 1730. In c.1800 the turret on the tower was added and by 1845 the church is called 'lately restored'. The present windows were installed from 1849 onwards and there are fragments of 14th and 16th century stained glass, from a Seymour property elsewhere, in the south east window of the south aisle. The gallery and barrel organ were removed and the present organ chamber built in 1884, while five of the six bells were recast in 1895. The font dates from c.1200 and has a Jacobean font cover that is matched by the Jacobean pulpit and some pieces in the stalls. At the apex of the porch is a unique two faced 18th century sundial. The parish registers, other than those in current use, dating from 1662 are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office.
Sign in to comment.
Photo taken in Maiden Bradley, Warminster BA12, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location