Wofford College is a small liberal arts institution that is Methodist affiliated. Its 80-acre, 30-building complex has grown from the original campus of 35 acres containing the Main Building and five faculty residences. The college was opened in 1854 through the $100,000 bequest of a local minister, Reverend Benjamin Wofford. The historic district consists of the main building and six Georgian derived houses. The Wofford Main Building was designed by the Charleston architect Edward C. Jones in the Italian Villa style that had been popularized nationally by Alexander Jackson Davis. It is a three-story stucco structure with square giant order columns supporting a massive portico framed by twin towers. Large side wings abut the central section. The six two-story brick residences have wide central halls flanked by rooms to either side. They are in a vernacular style that was popular for southern homes. Four of the buildings date to 1854. All have one-story front verandas. Listed in the National Register December 27, 1974.